The Pilots of the Pamir

Hull
J.H. Fisher
Sydney
Cap. Cook II
Wellington
Arahina

The tugs of the Pamir

Antwerp
Fred G. Gerling
Auckland
Daldy
Barry
Unknown
Belfast
Audacious
Buenos Aires
Unknown
Hamburg
Bugsier
Fairplay
Wotan
Unknown
Unknown
Hull
Irishman
London
Cervia
Kenia
Titan
Zealandia
San Francisco
Hercules
Sydney
St Aristell
Hero
Travemünde
Unknown
Vancouver
Island Commander
Island Warrior
Snohomish
Wellington
Terawhiti
Waipahi

St Aristell


St Aristell with the American cargo freighter Peter H Burnett
torpedoed by a Japanese submarine,
Sydney, 22/01/1943 © Australian War Museum
The tug St Aristell was built in 1920 at Great Yarmouth (UK).

She probably towed the Pamir during her 1934 visit at Sydney.


St Aristell, Sydney, c. 1950 © Graeme Andrews Collection


Characteristics: LOA xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m; G xx T ; H xx,x m ; 1 engine x.



Arrival on 17/01/1934
(St Aristell & James Wallace ?)

Audacious


Audacious

Audacious, 1927 © Ref.


A painting of the tug Audacious in Pollock Basin


The Audacious, built in 1923 at Aberdeen by Hall, for John Cooper of Belfast, has been scrapped in 1967.

She has towed the Pamir at Belfast in may 1933.

Characteristics : Ref.
LOA 29,0 m ; l 7,0 m ; T 3,6 m ; GRT 159 T



Behind the Audacious at Belfast 05/1933 (Ref.)

Behind the Audacious at Belfast 05/1933 (Ref.)

Bugsier


Bugsier 2 1952 © Ref.
The Bugsier tug company has been based since 1866 at Hamburg. They offer towing services on the Elbe and North Sea.


Towed by the Bugsier 4, 01/06/1957 © Ref.


The Bugsier 2, built in 1952 by the F. Schichau yards at Bremerhaven was in service until 1973.


Bugsier 2 © Ref.


The Bugsier 2 was then sold to John S. Latsis & Co at Pireus in 1971 and renamed Exi. She sank in 1973-74 at Pireus after a collision.


Brigitte Gerling ex-Bugsier 7 © Ref.


The Bugsier 7, built in 1953 by the same shipyard, was in service until 1987.


Bugsier 7 © Ref.


The Bugsier 7 was sold in 1954 to Union de Remorquage et de Sauvetage in Antwerp (BEL) and renamed Brigitte Gerling.


The Bugsier 7 towing the Pamir on Elbe


Sold in 1973 to the "Fratelli Neri" at Livorno (ITA) and renamed Algerina Neri, she was broken up in 1987.

The Bugsier 4 was built in 1953 by F. Schichau AG, Bremerhaven. Sold in 1967 to Stauerei & Hafenbetriebs GmbH and renamed Velox. Widened in 1967 and renamed Bugsier 9 in 1973. Sold in 1974 to Sand & Bergsalt A/S from Oslo and renamed Grey Bear. Demolished in 1995. Ref.


Bugsier

She towed the Pamir when leaving for her last voyage in June 1957.

Characteristics:
LOA 26,7 m ; l 6,6 m ; T 2,9 m ; GRT 86 T
1 diesel Deutz SBV 8 M 545, 850 HP ; 12 Kn.


Model of the Bugsier 7

Model of the Bugsier 2



Blohm & Voss shipyards, after the Bugsier 2 ?

After the Bugsier 7 on the Elbe, 01/06/1957

Cervia


The Cervia - International Towing Ltd
Launched in 1946 as the Empire Raymond then renamed Cervia in 1947, she was a steam tug in London harbour.


The Cervia at Avonmouth in 1976 (Ref.)


She was built in 1946 by Alexander Hall & Co., Aberdeen (an order from the War Transport Ministry).


At London in 1966 towing the Ruahine


Phased out in 1972, she is preserved at Ramsgate. The first tug bearing that name was built in 1925 and scraped in 1963.

The Pamir anchored in 1932 and 1948. Arrived in 1947, December the 22nd, towed by the Cervia and the Zealandia, she moored at Victoria Docks.

Characteristics: LOA 32,1 m ; b 8,5 m ; d 3,4 m; GRT 233 T ; 1 triple expansion machine 900 HP. Plans.



The Pamir, in London, prob. with the Cervia

Daldy


The Daldy at Auckland
The William C. Daldy was a steam tug of the Auckland harbour where she towed the Pamir in 1938 (and 1948?).


Le Daldy arrive en 1936 à Auckland



The Daldy at Auckland


Built by Lobnitz & Co in 1935 at Renfrew (Scotland), she was dedicated to the Auckland harbour, where she stayed in service until 1977.

She is preserved by the Daldy friends at Auckland.



Characteristics: LOA 38,7 m ; LH xx,x m ; B 4,5 m ; D x,x m; NRT 346 T ; D 750 T ; 2 triple expansion engine 980 HP ; 12 kn.


(c) Russell Ward

The Daldy (model)



The Pamir at Auckland & probably the Daldy
23/01/1938 © J. Churchouse

The Pamir at Auckland from the Daldy
23/01/1938 © NZ Maritime Museum

The Pamir in Waitemata, towed by the Daldy
August 1948 © W. C. Daldy Trust

Le Pamir in Rangitoto, towed by the Daldy
August 1948 © W. C. Daldy Trust

Aboard the Pamir, towed by the Daldy
August 1948 © W. C. Daldy Trust

Fairplay


Prob. Fairplay IV
The Fairplay company is established since 1905 in Hamborg. She provides towage services on the Elbe and North Sea.

The Fairplay IV was built in 1899 by Janssen & Schmilinsky in Hamburg.

In 1918, she is irequisitioned by the Imperial Navy and assigned to mine-clearing.

In 1940, she is again requisitioned then seized by the Allies and returned in 1947.

In 1952, she is sold to the Iron Fair Play & Metal Company at Hamburg and renamed Gustav.

She is demolished in 1959.

Characteristics :
LOA xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m ; GRT 68 T
1 engine xxx, 290 HP ; xx Kn.



Prob. behind the Fairplay IV

The Pamir behind the Fairplay IV

Fred. G. Gerling


The Fred. G. Gerling (Ref.)
The Directeur Fred. G. Gerling was built in 1941 by Jos. Boel & Fils at Temse (n° 1025).

In 1945 she was delivered to the SA de Remorquage à Hélice (H. Gerling) at Antwerp.

In 1974, she merged and became the URS (Unie van Redding en Sleepdienst) at Antwerp.


The Fred. G. Gerling (Ref. IMO 5090490) c. 1960


In 1981, she was laid up and used as an electric power station. She was scrapped at Noeveren in 1983.

The Fred G. Gerling towed the Pamir at Antwerp, probably in June 1951.

Characteristics: LOA 31,1 m ; l 7,2 m ; T 3,4 m; G 151 T ; 1 diesel SEM Carels, 650 HP.



On the Scheld in Antwerp, June 1951 (?)

On the Scheld in Antwerp, June 1951 (?)

Hercules


In San Francisco in 2002
The Hercules was a steam tug of San Francisco harbour.

Built in 1907 by John H Dialogue at Camden, New Jersey for the towing company of San Francisco, she was later sold to the Western Pacific Railroad.


The Hercules at San Francisco


The Pamir anchored there five times between 1942 and 1945, towed also by the Sea Scout.


In San Francisco


She was bought in 1986 by the San Francisco Maritime Museum (Ref. (1) (2)).

Characteristics: LOA 45,7 m ; LF 41,1 m ; b 7,9 m ; d 4,6 m ; GRT 409 T ; H xx,x m ; 1 engine xxx HP.



(I) Entering the San Francisco bay,
May 1942 © J. Churchouse

Hero


The Hero © Wollongong City Library (Illawarra) N° P10940
Built in 1893 at South Shields (UK), the steam tug converted schooner Hero was in service in Sydney harbour.

She sank in the harbour in 1940 and was refloated by the Americans in 1944 (Ref.).


The Hero © Wollongong City Library (Illawarra) N° P10994


She towed the Pamir in 1934 and 1947.


The Hero passes the Pamir on 14/04/1947


In 1960, at Port Kembla, she was washed to the shore by a tempest and the crew had to abandon her.


The wreck of the Hero © (Ref.)


Characteristics: LOA 32,1 m ; l 5,97 m ; T 3,4 m
G 161 T ; 1 engine 70 HP (Ref.).



Arriving on 17/01/1934

Arriving on 17/01/1934

Arriving on 17/01/1934
(St Aristell & James Wallace ?)

Leaving on 14/04/1947

Leaving on 14/04/1947

Leaving on 14/04/1947

Irishman


The Irishman towing the Pamir in 1937 at Hull
The Irishman was a steam tug built in 1929 at Selby (UK) by Cochrane & Sons.

Operated by United Towing, she was on duty in Hull in 1937 during the port of call of the Pamir.

She struck a mine in Langstone harbour on 08/05/1941 (Ref.).

In 1961, she is sold to Rimorchiatori Sardi S.p.A., Italy, and renamed Gennargentu.


Tug Irishman Towing Pamir
Ronny Moortgat, UK


In 1965, she is renamed Bonaria. She is demolished in 1986 (Ref.).

Characteristics: LOA 31,0 m ; l 7,6 m ; T 3,7 m ; GRT 222 T ; 1 machine 850 HP ; xx nd.



Pamir at Hull in 1937 - Tug Irishman

Pamir at Hull in 1937 - Tug Irishman

Island Commander


L'Island Commander after her refitting, in 1956 © R. Wells
The Andrew Kelly was a steam trawler built in 1912 in the United Kingdom. In 1938, Island Tug & Barge bought her, completely refitted her and installed a 500 HP diesel engine.

In 1942, she was renamed Island Commander and registered at Vancouver, where she towed the Pamir in 1945.


The Island Commander in 1999 at Richmond


Since 1999, she has been preserved by the city of Richmond in British Columbia. (Ref.).

Characteristics: LOA 39,0 m ; LH 36,0 m ; B 6,7 m ; D 3,5 m ; GRT 500 T ; T 271 T ; 1 McIntosh diesel 500 HP then a 1750 HP GM in 1976 ; 12 kn.



Grey Point, 11/06/1945
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

Tug Island Commander, 07/07/45
© R. Wells B. G. Moodie

Tug Island Commander, 07/07/45
© R. Wells H. Frith

Under the Lions Gate Bridge, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells N. M. MacNeil

Under the Lions Gate Bridge, 07/07/1945
(Private Source) © B. G. Moodie

Under the Lions Gate Bridge, 07/07/1945
(Private Source) © B. G. Moodie

Clear of the Lions Gate Bridge, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B. G. Moodie

The straits of Georgia, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B. G. Moodie

North side mountains, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B. G. Moodie

The straits of Juan de Fuca, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

Setting sails, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

New-Zealand bound, 07/07/1945
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

Island Warrior


The Island Warrior under war colours in 1942 © R. Wells
The George B. Foster was a small steamship built in 1912 at Selby (UK) by Cochrane & Sons. In 1938, she was equipped with a fuel boiler but kept her steam engine.

In 1941, she was bought by Island Tug & Barge, renamed Island Warrior and registered at Vancouver where she towed the Pamir in 1946.


The Island Warrior in 1944


In 1958, her conversion to diesel was considered, but she was sold and scrapped.

Characteristics: LOA 39,0 m ; LC 36,0 m ; l 6,7 m ; T 3,5 m ; GRT 243 T ; 1 triple expansion 500 HP ; 12? kn.



Union Bay, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells N. M. MacNeil

Tug Island Warrior, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells R. E. Wells

The towline is fixed, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells R. E. Wells

The towage starts, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells R. E. Wells

Leaving Union Bay, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells N. M. MacNeil

Baynes Sound, 05/08/1946
© R. Wells R. E. Wells

Leaving Union Bay, 05/08/1946
© BC Library

Kenia


The Kenia (Ref)
The Kenia was a steam tug of the London harbour where she towed the Pamir in 1948.

Built in 1927, she was requisitioned in August 1939 by the Ministry of War Transportation.

In 1939, she towed the school-ship Vindicatrix from Gravesend to Sharpness.


The Kenia in 1938


In 1941, she was based at Harwich as a rescue vessel.


The refloating of the Kenia in 1948 at Tilbury (Ref)


In 1948, she capsized while towing the Maashaven.


The Kenia in 1960 at Ramsgate (Ref)


On December 12, 1954, she towed the Cutty Sark to her final mooring at Greenwich. She is broken up at Sheerness in 1964.

Characteristics: LOA xx,x m ; LC xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m; GRT 200 T ; 1 engine xxxx HP ; xx kn.



The Kenia towing the Pamir at London in 1948

Snohomish


The Snohomish at Seattle in 1917 © R. Wells
The Snohomish was a steam tug of the Vancouver harbour where she towed the Pamir in 1946.

Built in 1908 by Pusey & Jones at Wilmington, Delaware, she was assigned to the US Coast Guard at Port Angeles, Washington. In 1937, she was bought by the Island Tug & Barge of Victoria, B.C.


The Snohomish in 1947 © R. Wells


In 1947, she left for Buenos Aires with a barge of tugs and was sold to the Argentine Navy. She was scrapped in 1980.


Le Snohomish under US flag


Characteristics: LOA 46,3 m ; LC 42,5 m ; l 8,9 m ; T 4,6 m; GRT 549 T ; 1 triple expansion engine 1250 HP ; 14 kn. Plans.



Tug Snohomish, 06/01/1946
© R. Wells N. M. MacNeil

Under tow, 06/01/1946
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

Lions Gate, 06/01/1946
© R. Wells B.G. Moodie

Straits of Georgia, 06/01/1946
© R. Wells N. M. MacNeil

Terawhiti


Terawhiti © State Library of Victoria
The Terawhiti was a steam tug of the Wellington harbour, built in 1907 by Ramage & Ferguson at Leith for Union Steamship Co.


Terawhiti © State Library of Victoria



Terawhiti © Ref.


In 1947, she is sold to the Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. On September 30, 1950, she sank after collision with the CITY OF KHARTOUM (Ref.). In 1951, she is raised and broken up.

She towed the Pamir during, at least, one of her voyages under the New Zealand flag.

Characteristics: LOA 36,3 m ; l 7,3 m ; T 3,0 m
G 260 T ; 1 engine 900 HP ; 12 kn. (Ref.)



Approaching the floating dry dock, Tola and
Terawhiti 25/09/1941 © J. Churchouse

Behind the pilot Arahina, near the Terawhiti
31/03/1944 © J. Churchouse

Titan


The Titan (?) tows the Pamir into the London docks
The Titan was a steam tug in London harbour.

Built in 1942 for the Ministry of War Transportation (Ref.), she was sold in 1947 to the Gold Coast Railways.


The Pioniere in Messine © Ref.


She was registered in 1957 at Belfast (Lenadee) and in 1960 in Italy (Pioniere).

Characteristics: LOA 34,7 m ; l 8,14 m ; T x,x m; D 242 T ; 1 engine 3 cyl. 1000 HP.



The Titan (?) tows the Pamir
into the London Docks, 1947

Waipahi


On the Waipahi, 12/02/1944
The steamer Waipahi went to tow the Pamir in the strait of Cook, when arriving in Wellington, coming from San Francisco, in 1944.


The steamer Waipahi at Port Chalmers, 1926 © (Ref.)



The steamer Waipahi at Port Chalmers, 1926 © (Ref.)



The steamer Waipahi at Port Chalmers, c. 1950 © (Ref.)



The steamer Waipahi at Auckland © Bret Chambers (Ref.)


Built in 1925 for Union Steamship, she is renamed Kefallinia in 1955 and demolished in 1960.

Characteristics : LOA 73,2 m ; l 11,4 m ; T 6,7 m
D 1781 T ; 1 engine 3 Cyl 223 CV ; 10 kn. Ref.



Arriving at Wellington, 12/02/1944

Wotan


The Wotan (Ref.)
The tug Arngast was built in 1939 by "H.C. Stülcken & Sohn" in Hamburg for the Kriegsmarine (Ref.). She was following the Bismark on the Elbe (Ref.).

Seized in 1945 by the Allies, she was attributed to "H.P. Lenaghan" in Belfast, and renamed Lenamill.


The Wotan (Ref.)


In 1950, she was bought by "Bugsier, Reederei und Bergungs AG" in Hamburg, and renamed Wotan.


The Wotan towing the Pamir in 1951


In 1951, the Pamir was towed by the Wotan from Travemünde to Kiel for refit into a training-ship.

In 1960, she was laid up in Bremerhaven and scraped in 1970.

Characteristics: LOA 57,5 m ; l 9,5 m ; T 4,4 m; D 726 T ; 2 diesel 8 cyl MAK 2680 HP.

Zealandia


The Pamir under tow of the Zealandia, London, 1948
The Zealandia was a steam tug in London harbour, built in 1944 for the War Transport Ministry as the Winnie then assigned to Watkins Ltd in 1947 as the Zealandia.

She towed the Pamir on her visit during the 1947-1948 winter.


The Zealandia II (Ref.)


In 1962, she was sold to Adelaide Shipping Industries (Australia) and renamed Yuna. Scrapped in 1974.



Characteristics: LOA 41,4 m ; l 9,1 m ; T x,x m; D 479 T ; 1 engine xxx HP.



Leaving London for Antwerp, 04/1948

Unknown


A tug behind the Pamir at Travemünde
20/06/1951 (Ref.)
At Travemünde with the Passat in background.

Characteristics : LOA xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m; D xxx T ; 1 engine xxx HP.



Arrived at Travemünde coming from Antwerp
20/06/1951

Unknown


The Pamir in Hamburg

Unknown


A tug towing the Pamir at Cuxhaven, 01/06/1957
At Cuxhaven, on the mouth of Elbe, for her last departure.

Characteristics : LOA xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m; D xxx T ; 1 engine xxx HP.



The Pamir at Cuxhaven

Unknown


The Pamir at Barry Roads, leaving for Penarth

Unknown


A tug (the Pampero?) at Buenos Aires, 10/08/1957
At Buenos Aires, leaving for her last voyage, at the mouth of the Rio de la Plata.

Characteristics : LOA xx,x m ; l x,x m ; T x,x m; D xxx T ; 1 engine xxx HP.



Leaving Buenos Aires, 10/08/1957

The harbours

The voyages of the Pamir

The Pamir