The Pamir


Finland, flag

Under finnish flag


The Pamir at Walaroo in 1932
She finished her nitrate trade under the flag of F. Laeisz on 28 July 1931 and was laid up.

On 6 November 1931 she was sold for DM 42.000 (£ 2.700) to Gustaf Erikson from Mariehamn (Finland).


Erikson in Hamburg after having bought the Pamir



The Pamir at Auckland in 1938



The Pamir under the finnish flag
Her new homeport became Mariehamn and her signal code TPSR.

Erikson put her on the australian grain trade from her first voyage.


Charter party for the Pamir dated 26 january 1939,
a cargo of wheat from Port Victoria to Falmouth


The Pamir made the last commercial voyage with cargo carried in a sailing ship departing Australia before the outbreak of the Second World war, for Elder-Smith & Co.

Erikson became well know as the last owner of a fleet of pure sailing ships such as three and four mast square riggers and barques transporting grain between Australia and Europe and wood between Finland and South Africa.

Photos


Under Finnish Flag, before 1939 (1)

Leaving Birkenhead, 1936

Leaving Port Lincoln, 1934 (1)

Arriving at Auckland, 1938

Leaving Birkenhead, 1936

Leaving Port Lincoln, 1934 (1)

References

(1) State Library of Victoria

The grain races

Gustaf Erikson

The Erikson's fleet

Under New Zealand flag

The Pamir